- •Limited long-term outcome data following surgical correction of cloaca malformation in the published literature. The most recent systematic review of functional outcomes was published in 2013.
- •We report the long term renal and colorectal outcomes of twenty-one cloaca malformation patients managed at a single institution in the UK.
- •We emphasise the principle long term issues are preservation of renal function.
Level of evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Posterior cloaca-further experience and guidelines for the treatment of an unusual anorectal malformation.J Pediatr Surg. Jun 2010; 45: 1234-1240
- Congenital cloaca: long-term follow-up results with emphasis on outcomes beyond childhood.Semin Pediatr Surg. Apr 1, 2016; 25: 112-116
- Posterior sagittal anorectoplasty.J Pediatr Surg. Oct 1982; 17: 638-643
- Total urogenital mobilization–an easier way to repair cloacas.J Pediatr Surg. Feb 1997; 32 (discussion 267-8): 263-267
- Surgical management of cloacal malformations.Semin Neonatol. Jun 2003; 8: 249-257
- Cloacal malformations: lessons learned from 490 cases.Semin Pediatr Surg. May 2010; 19: 128-138
- Clinical quiz: reconstructive Strategies in a 5-month-old infant with a Cloaca.Eur J Pediatr Surg Rep. Jan 2020; 8: e45-e47
- Cloacal malformations: technical aspects of the reconstruction and factors which predict surgical complexity.Front Pediatr. 2019; 7: 240
- Does a standardized operative approach in cloacal reconstruction allow for preservation of a patent urethra?.J Pediatr Surg. Dec 2021; 56: 2295-2298
- Cloaca reconstruction: a new algorithm which considers the role of urethral length in determining surgical planning.J Pediatr Surg. Oct 12, 2017;
- Urethral length in female infants and its relevance in the repair of cloaca.J Pediatr Surg. Feb 2019; 54: 303-306
- Factors predicting the need for vaginal replacement at the time of primary reconstruction of a cloacal malformation.J Pediatr Surg. Jan 2020; 55: 71-74
Bischoff A. The surgical treatment of cloaca. Semin Pediatr Surg. 2016 Apr;25(2):102–7.
- Early versus late reconstruction of cloacal malformations: the effects on postoperative complications and long-term colorectal outcome.J Pediatr Surg. 2014; 49: 556-559
- Long-term follow-up of functional outcome in patients with a cloacal malformation: a systematic review.J Pediatr Surg. 2013; 48: 2343-2350
- Urogenital function after cloacal reconstruction, two techniques evaluated.J Pediatr Urol. Dec 1, 2014; 10: 1160-1164
- Long-term urological assessment and management of cloaca patients: a single tertiary institution experience.J Pediatr Surg. May 2021; 56: 984-987
- Transition care from adolescence to adulthood: a 10-year service review of the gynecological implications for young women and girls born with cloacal anomalies.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. Jun 2021; 34: 412-414
Warne S.A., Wilcox D.T., Creighton S., Ransley P.G. Long-term gynecological outcome of patients with persistent cloaca. In: J Urol. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2003. p. 1493–6.
- Long-term urological outcomes in cloacal anomalies.Semin Pediatr Surg. Apr 1, 2016; 25: 108-111
- Long-term outcomes of anorectal malformations.Pediatr Surg Int. Aug 2004; 20: 567-572
- The long-term management and outcomes of cloacal anomalies.Pediatr Nephrol. May 2015; 30: 759-765
- Renal outcome in patients with cloaca.J Urol. Jun 2002; 167 (discussion 2551): 2548-2551
- The long-term management and outcomes of cloacal anomalies.Pediatric Nephrol. May 13, 2015; 30: 759-765
- Long-term renal function and continence status in patients with cloacal malformation.Can Urol Assoc J. Nov 2007; 1: 371-376
- Clean intermittent catheterization as an initial management strategy provides for adequate preservation of renal function in newborns with persistent cloaca.J Pediatr Urol. Aug 2015; 11 (211.e1-4)
- Gynecologic concerns in the treatment of teenagers with cloaca.J Pediatr Surg. 1998; 33: 188-193
- Adolescent and adult outcomes in women following childhood vaginal reconstruction for cloacal anomaly.J Urol. 2015; 193: 1819-1822
- Obstetrical outcomes in adult patients born with complex anorectal malformations and cloacal anomalies: a literature review.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2019; 32: 7-14