- •Surgical Site Infection (SSI) is a global public health problem with the largest burden in the LMICs.
- •This is the first study looking into the effectiveness of using soap to prevent SSI in children undergoing surgery.
- •The intervention may be feasible and sustainable as it is inexpensive, readily available and involves the parent.
- •There is a need to develop strategies to prevent SSI beyond the hospital settings.
Materials and Methods
Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Preoperative bathing or showering with skin antiseptics to prevent surgical site infection.Cochr Database Syst Rev. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD004985.pub5
- Contributing Factors to Surgical Site Infections.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2012; 20: 94-101https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-20-02-094
- Effectiveness of decolonization with chlorhexidine and mupirocin in reducing surgical site infections: a systematic review.Dimens Crit Care Nurs. 2016; 35: 204-222https://doi.org/10.1097/DCC.0000000000000192
- Surgical site infections : epidemiology, microbiology and prevention.J Hosp Infect. 2008; 70: 3-10https://doi.org/10.1016/S0195-6701(08)60017-1
- Perioperative patient outcomes in the African surgical outcomes study: a 7-day prospective observational cohort study.Lancet. 2018; 391: 1589-1598https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)30001-1
- New WHO recommendations on preoperative measures for surgical site infection prevention: an evidence-based global perspective.Lancet Infect Dis. 2016; 16: e276-e287https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(16)30398-X
- Surgical site infection after stoma closure in children: outcomes and predictors.J Surg Res. 2017; 209: 234-241https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2016.10.029
- Antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent surgical site infections in children: a prospective cohort study.Ann Surg. 2015; 262: 397-402https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000000938
- A journey undertaken by families to access general surgical care for their children at muhimbili national hospital, Tanzania; prospective observational cohort study.World J Surg. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-022-06530-z
- World Health Organization: global guidelines for the prevention of surgical site infection.J Hosp Infect. 2017; 95: 135-136https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2016.12.016
Global guidelines for the prevention of surgical site infection, 2nd ed. n.d. https://www.who.int/publications-detail-redirect/global-guidelines-for-the-prevention-of-surgical-site-infection-2nd-ed (accessed 8 August 2022).
- Antimicrobial activity of medicated soaps commonly used by Dar es Salaam residents in Tanzania.Indian J Pharm Sci. 2011; 73: 92https://doi.org/10.4103/0250-474X.89765
- Single-dose compared with multiple day antibiotic prophylaxis for cesarean section in low-resource settings, a randomized controlled, noninferiority trial.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2015; 94: 43-49https://doi.org/10.1111/aogs.12517
- Reducing surgical site infections in low-income and middle-income countries (FALCON): a pragmatic, multicentre, stratified, randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2021; 398: 1687-1699https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(21)01548-8
- Reducing surgical site infections and mortality among obstetric surgical patients in Tanzania: a pre-evaluation and postevaluation of a multicomponent safe surgery intervention.BMJ Glob Health. 2021; 6e006788https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjgh-2021-006788
- Risk factors of surgical site infection in newborn infants.Med Wieku Rozwoj. 2008; 12: 771-777
- Risk factors for surgical site infection in neonates: a systematic review of the literature and meta-analysis.Front Pediatr. 2019; 7: 101https://doi.org/10.3389/fped.2019.00101
- Surgical site infection in elective clean and clean-contaminated surgeries in developing countries.Int J Infect Dis. 2019; 80: 34-45https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2018.12.013
- Preoperative antibiotic prophylaxis.StatPearls Publishing, StatPearls, Treasure Island (FL)2022
- Clinical practice guidelines for antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgery.Surg Infect. 2013; 14: 73-156https://doi.org/10.1089/sur.2013.9999
- Antimicrobial resistance in the WHO African region: a systematic literature review.World Health Organization. Regional Office for Africa, 2021
- Antimicrobial resistance in Africa: a systematic review.BMC Infect Dis. 2017; 17: 616https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-017-2713-1
- Surgical site infections and antimicrobial resistance after cesarean section delivery in rural Rwanda.Ann Glob Health. 2021; 87: 77https://doi.org/10.5334/aogh.3413
- Prophylactic antibiotics to prevent surgical site infections in Botswana: findings and implications.Hosp Pract. 2018; 46: 97-102https://doi.org/10.1080/21548331.2018.1450605
- Evaluation of antimicrobial prophylaxis use and rate of surgical site infection in surgical ward of Wachemo University Nigist Eleni Mohammed Memorial Hospital, Southern Ethiopia: prospective cohort study.BMC Infect Dis. 2019; 19: 298https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-019-3895-5
- The role of prophylactic antibiotics in preventing perioperative infection.Acta Medica Indones. 2011; 43: 262-266
- Antimicrobial prophylaxis in clean pediatric surgical procedures: a necessity or redundancy?.Cureus. 2020; 12e10701https://doi.org/10.7759/cureus.10701
- National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) system report, data summary from January 1992 through June 2004, issued October 2004.Am J Infect Control. 2004; 32: 470-485https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2004.10.001