- •South African children lack access to timely paediatric surgical care.
- •Johannesburg specialist paediatric surgical centres are unable to accommodate all patients referred from lower-level hospitals.
- •Significant delays exist between referral and arrival of patients at specialist centres.
- •Lower-level hospitals have been identified for outreach and decentralisation efforts.
Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pediatric surgeon density in South Africa.J Pediatr Surg. 2018; 53: 2065-2071
- Defining the critical pediatric surgical workforce density for improving surgical outcomes: a global study.J Pediatr Surg. 2020; 53: 493-512
- Surgical resources in South Africa: an analysis of the inequalities between the public and private sector.South African J Surg. 2018; 56: 16-20
- Optimal Resources for Children's Surgical Care: executive Summary.World J Surg. 2019; 43: 978-980
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—A metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- The REDCap consortium: building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Inform. 2019; 95103208
- Global Surgery 2030 evidence and solutions for achieving health, welfare, and economic development Policy Brief: monitoring surgery and anesthesia for improved health, welfare, and development.The Lancet. 2015; 386: 569-624
- Gastroschisis: bellwether for neonatal surgery capacity in low resource settings?.J Pediatr Surg. 2016; 51: 1262-1267
- Estimating the emergency care workforce in South Africa.African J Prim Heal Care Fam Med. 2021; 13: 1-9
Msomi N. “Bhekisisa centre for health journalism.” [Online]. Available: https://bhekisisa.org/article/2018-12-11-00-how-many-ambulances-does-south-africa-have-ems-crisis/#.Yng9Vz5y_dQ.mailto.
- Interfacility transfer of patients in South Africa — what you need to know and composition of.Continuing Med Educ. 2004; 22: 374-377
- Inter- and intra-hospital transport of the critically ill.Respir Care. 2013; 58: 1008-1023
- The state of paediatric intensive care retrieval in Britain.Arch Dis Child. 2012; 97: 145-149
- Census of neonatal transfers in London and the South of England.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2004; 89: 521-526
- Paediatric workload of an adult retrieval service in Scotland.Eur J Emerg Med Off J Eur Soc Emerg Med. 2017; 24: 67-70
- A Journey Undertaken by Families to Access General Surgical Care for their Children at Muhimbili National Hospital, Tanzania; Prospective Observational Cohort Study.World J Surg. 2022; 46 (2022): 1643-1659https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-022-06530-z SURGERY
- Paediatric surgery outreach: analysis of referrals to a tertiary paediatric surgery service to plan an outreach programme Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa.Trop Doct. 2017; 47: 305-311