- •Soiling after Hirschsprung disease pull-through may be related to sphincter damage which currently has no optimal treatment.
- •A new technique of anal sphincter reconstruction showed improvement of bowel control in these patients at one year.
- •Non-sedate 3D-anorectal manometry showed improvement of squeeze function and ability to complete close the anal sphincters.
- •In patients without Down syndrome, improvement in Baylor Continence Scale was demonstrated (4.5 vs. 0.75).
Level of Evidence
Abbreviations:3D HR-ARM (three-dimensional high resolution anorectal manometry), ACE (antegrade continence enema), BCS (Baylor Continence Scale), BM (bowel movement), EUA (examination under anesthesia), HSCR (Hirschsprung disease), RAIR (rectoanal inhibitory reflex), SR (sphincter reconstruction), VBM (voluntary bowel movement)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Anorectal malformation with didelphys uterus: extremely rare anomaly and successful neoanal sphincter reconstruction with gracilis muscle flap.Arch Plast Surg. 2020; 47: 272-276
- Surgery, surgical pathology, and postoperative management of patients with Hirschsprung disease.Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2019; 23: 23-39
- Guidelines for the management of postoperative obstructive symptoms in children with Hirschsprung disease.Pediatr Surg Int. 2017; 33: 523-526
- Damaged anal canal as a cause of fecal incontinence after surgical repair for Hirschsprung disease – a preventable and under-reported complication.J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 52: 549-553
- Outcome of anorectal malformations and Hirschsprung's disease beyond childhood.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2010; 19: 160-167
- Guidelines for the management of postoperative soiling in children with Hirschsprung disease.Pediatr Surg Int. 2019; 35: 829-834
- Evolving therapy for fecal incontinence.Dis Colon Rectum. 2007; 50: 1950-1967
- Anal sphincter botulinum toxin injection in children with functional anorectal and colonic disorders: a large institutional study and review of the literature focusing on complications.J Pediatr Surg. 2019; 54: 2305-2310
- Prevention and management of recurrent postoperative Hirschsprung's disease obstructive symptoms and enterocolitis: systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pediatr Surg. 2018; 53: 2423-2429
- Evaluation and treatment of the post pull-through Hirschsprung patient who is not doing well; Update for 2022.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2022; 31151164
- Efficacy of pelvic floor muscle training for the treatment of fecal incontinence after soave procedure for Hirschsprung disease.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2012; 22: 300-304
- The Hirschsprungs patient who is soiling after what was considered a “successful” pull-through.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2012; 21: 344-353
- Postoperative pullthrough obstruction in Hirschsprung disease: etiologies and diagnosis.Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2020; 23: 40-59
- A technique to reconstruct the anal sphincters following iatrogenic stretching related to a pull-through for Hirschsprung disease.J Pediatr Surg. 2021; 56: 1242-1246
- Validation of the Baylor Continence Scale in children with anorectal malformations.J Pediatr Surg. 2007; 42 (discussion 1021): 1015-1021
- Health-related quality of life in children with Hirschsprung disease and children with functional constipation: parent-child variability.J Pediatr Surg. 2022; 57: 1694-1700
- Secondary sphincter repair for anal incontinence following obstetric sphincter injury: functional outcome and quality of life at 18 years of follow-up.Color Dis. 2020; 22: 71-79
- Obstetrical Anal Sphincter Injuries (OASIS): prevention, recognition, and repair.J Obstet Gynaecol Canada. 2015; 37: 1131-1148
- How to repair an anal sphincter injury after vaginal delivery: results of a randomised controlled trial.BJOG An Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006; 113: 201-207
- Diseases of the rectum & colon and their surgical treatment.Macmillan, Toronto Toronto1923
- Primary repair of obstetric anal sphincter rupture using the overlap technique.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1999; 106: 318-323
- Long-term outcomes after overlapping sphincteroplasty for cloacal-like deformities.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2019; 25: 271-278
- Anal incontinence - sphincter ani repair: indications, techniques, outcome. Langenbeck's.Arch Surg. 2009; 394: 425-433