- •What is currently known about this topic?
- oHepatobiliary scintigraphy is a non-invasive technique used to evaluate cholestatic infants.
- oThe technical gold-standard to exclude the diagnosis of Biliary Atresia is operative exploration.
- •What new information is contained in this article?
- oHepatobiliary scintigraphy compared to operative exploration for the diagnostic evaluation of cholestatic infants introduces significant time delays to biliary drainage surgery for infants with Biliary Atresia.
Type of Study
Abbreviations:BA (Biliary Atresia), KPE (Kasai Portoenterostomy), US (Ultrasound), HIDA (Hepatobiliary Scintigraphy), ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography), IOC (intra-operative cholangiogram), EMR (electronic medical record), NLS (native-liver survival)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Screening and outcomes in biliary atresia: summary of a National Institutes of Health workshop.Hepatology. 2007; 46: 566-581https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.21790
- Guideline for the Evaluation of Cholestatic Jaundice in Infants: Joint Recommendations of the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition and the European Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2017; 64: 154-168https://doi.org/10.1097/MPG.0000000000001334
- Socioeconomic status and incidence of pediatric leukemia in Canada: 1992-2010.Cancer Epidemiol. 2019; 61: 14-22https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2019.04.013
- Clinical significance of liver histology on outcomes in biliary atresia.J Paediatr Child Health. 2017; 53: 252-256https://doi.org/10.1111/jpc.13371
- Biliary atresia: the timing needs a changin.Can J Public Health. 2009; 100: 475-477https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03404348
- Needle liver biopsy has potential for delaying Kasai portoenterostomy and Is obsolete for diagnosing biliary atresia in the laparoscopic era.J Pediatr Surg. 2019; 54: 2570-2573https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2019.08.028
- Histological grading and staging of chronic hepatitis.J Hepatol. 1995 Jun; 22: 696-699https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-8278(95)80226-6
- The need for early Kasai portoenterostomy: a Western Pediatric Surgery Research Consortium study.Pediatr Surg Int. 2022; 38: 193-199https://doi.org/10.1007/s00383-021-05047-1
- Biliary atresia: Potential for a new decade.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2020; 29150940https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sempedsurg.2020.150940
- Newborn Direct or Conjugated Bilirubin Measurements As a Potential Screen for Biliary Atresia.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2016; 62: 799-803https://doi.org/10.1097/MPG.0000000000001097
- Diagnostic Yield of Newborn Screening for Biliary Atresia Using Direct or Conjugated Bilirubin Measurements.JAMA. 2020; 323: 1141-1150https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.0837
- Diagnostic Accuracy of Serum Matrix Metalloproteinase-7 for Biliary Atresia.Hepatology. 2018 Dec; 68: 2069-2077https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.30234
- Practical approach to imaging diagnosis of biliary atresia, Part 1: prenatal ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging, and postnatal ultrasound.Pediatr Radiol. 2021; 51: 314-331https://doi.org/10.1007/s00247-020-04840-9
- Practical approach for the diagnosis of biliary atresia on imaging, part 2: magnetic resonance cholecystopancreatography, hepatobiliary scintigraphy, percutaneous cholecysto-cholangiography, endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, percutaneous liver biopsy, risk scores and decisional flowchart.Pediatr Radiol. 2021; 51: 1545-1554https://doi.org/10.1007/s00247-021-05034-7
- Phenobarbital-enhanced hepatobiliary scintigraphy in the diagnosis of biliary atresia: two decades of experience at a tertiary center.Pediatr Radiol. 2013; 43: 1365-1375https://doi.org/10.1007/s00247-013-2704-3
- Accuracy of hepatobiliary scintigraphy for differentiation of neonatal hepatitis from biliary atresia: systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature.Pediatr Radiol. 2013; 43: 905-919https://doi.org/10.1007/s00247-013-2623-3
- Clinical Assessment of Differential Diagnostic Methods in Infants with Cholestasis due to Biliary Atresia or Non-Biliary Atresia.Curr Med Sci. 2018; 38: 137-143https://doi.org/10.1007/s11596-018-1857-6
- The value of preoperative liver biopsy in the diagnosis of extrahepatic biliary atresia: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pediatr Surg. 2016; 51: 753-761https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2016.02.016
- A screening algorithm for the efficient exclusion of biliary atresia in infants with cholestatic jaundice.J Pediatr Surg. 2015 Mar; 50: 363-370https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2014.08.014
- Biliary Atresia - Clinical Series.GE Port J Gastroenterol. 2018 Mar; 25: 68-73https://doi.org/10.1159/000480708
- The Role of Liver Biopsy in Investigation of Cholestatic Liver Disease in Infancy.J Can Assoc Gastroenterol. 2019; 2: 51-56https://doi.org/10.1093/jcag/gwy026