- •What is currently known about this topic?
- •What new information is contained within this article?
Abbreviations:KFF (Kaiser Family Foundation), CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), IRB (Institutional Review Board)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global Mortality From Firearms, 1990-2016.Jama. 2018; 320: 792-814
- International comparison of civilian violent deaths: a public health approach to reduce gun-related deaths in US youth.Public Health. 2020; 180: 109-113
- Violent death rates in the US compared to those of the other high-income countries, 2015.Prev Med. 2019; 123: 20-26
- Violence and Public and Personal Health: Gun Violence.FP Essent. 2019; 480: 16-21
- Current Causes of Death in Children and Adolescents in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2022; 386: 1955-1956
BBC News US & Canada. America's Gun Culture in Charts, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081; 2021. [Accessed 4 December 2021]
- Changes in Suicide Rates - United States, 2018-2019.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021; 70: 261-268
Mental Health America. The State of Mental Health in America, https://mhanational.org/issues/state-mental-health-america; 2021. [Accessed 4 December 2021].
- Association of Changes in Missouri Firearm Laws With Adolescent and Young Adult Suicides by Firearms.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2024303
- Firearm Laws and Firearm Homicides: A Systematic Review.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 106-119
- State Gun Laws and Pediatric Firearm-Related Mortality.Pediatrics. 2019; 144
- State gun laws, gun ownership, and mass shootings in the US: cross sectional time series.Bmj. 2019; 364: l542
- Adolescent Suicide, Household Firearm Ownership, and the Effects of Child Access Prevention Laws.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2021; 60: 1096-1104
Kaiser Family Foundaiton. States with Firearm Laws Designed to Protect Children, https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/firearms-and-children-legislation/; 2019. [Accessed 6 May 2022].
Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Large Capacity Magazines, https://giffords.org/lawcenter/gun-laws/policy-areas/hardware-ammunition/large-capacity-magazines/; 2019. [Accessed 4 December 2021].
Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Annual Gun Law Scorecard, https://giffords.org/lawcenter/resources/scorecard/; 2021. [Accessed 4 December 2021].
- Gun ownership and social gun culture.Inj Prev. 2016; 22: 216-220
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Fatal Injury Reports, National, Regional and State, 1981 - 2019, https://wisqars.cdc.gov/fatal-reports.
United States Census Bureau. Historical Poverty Tables: People and Families - 1959 to 2020, www.census.gov/programs-surveys/saipe.html; 2021. [Accessed 4 December 2021].
United States Census Bureau. Population, Population Change, and Estimated Components of Population Change, www.census.gov/data/tables/time-series/demo/popest/2010s-state-total.html; 2021. [Accessed 4 December 2021].
United States Census Bureau. Marriage and Divorce, https://www.census.gov/topics/families/marriage-and-divorce.html; 2021.[Accessed 4 December 2021].
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, https://www.cdc.gov/brfss/brfssprevalence/index.html; 2021. [Accessed 4 December 2021].
- Mental Health Problems and Cancer Risk Factors Among Young Adults.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 53: S30-S39
- Poor Mental Health and Reduced Decline in Smoking Prevalence.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 362-369
- Firearm legislation and firearm-related fatalities in the United States.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 732-740
- The effect of child access prevention laws on unintentional child firearm fatalities, 1979-2000.J Trauma. 2006; 61: 423-428
- Weaker gun state laws are associated with higher rates of suicide secondary to firearms.J Surg Res. 2018; 221: 135-142
- The Association Between State Laws Regulating Handgun Ownership and Statewide Suicide Rates.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: 2059-2067
- Association Between State Minimum Wages and Suicide Rates in the U.S.Am J Prev Med. 2019; 56: 648-654
- Suicide, guns, and public policy.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: 27-31
- State handgun purchase age minimums in the US and adolescent suicide rates: regression discontinuity and difference-in-differences analyses.Bmj. 2020; 370: m2436
- The association of firearm laws with firearm outcomes among children and adolescents: a scoping review.J Behav Med. 2019; 42: 741-762
- Funding and Publication of Research on Gun Violence and Other Leading Causes of Death.Jama. 2017; 317: 84-85
- Silencing the science on gun research.Jama. 2013; 309: 549-550
- What Do We Know About the Association Between Firearm Legislation and Firearm-Related Injuries?.Epidemiol Rev. 2016; 38: 140-157
- Homicide and suicide rates associated with implementation of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act.Jama. 2000; 284: 585-591
- Epidemiologic Evidence to Guide the Understanding and Prevention of Gun Violence.Epidemiol Rev. 2016; 38: 1-4
- Gun policy and serious mental illness: priorities for future research and policy.Psychiatr Serv. 2014; 65: 50-58
- Associations Between Firearm and Suicide Rates: A Replication of Kleck (2021).Arch Suicide Res. 2022; : 1-16
- Lethality of firearms relative to other suicide methods: a population based study.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2003; 57: 120-124
- Self-inflicted and unintentional firearm injuries among children and adolescents: the source of the firearm.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1999; 153: 875-878
- Pediatric Firearm-Related Injuries in the United States.Hosp Pediatr. 2017; 7: 303-312
- Children and Adolescents Mental Health: A Systematic Review of Interaction-Based Interventions in Schools and Communities.Front Psychol. 2019; 10: 918
- Trends in Firearm Injuries Among Children and Teenagers in the United States.J Surg Res. 2020; 245: 529-536
- Handgun Legislation and Changes in Statewide Overall Suicide Rates.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 579-581
- A comparison and analysis of seven gun law permissiveness scales.Inj Epidemiol. 2021; 8: 2
- Does the level of education influence completed suicide? A nationwide register study.J Affect Disord. 2013; 147: 437-440
- Impact of Mental Health Treatment on Suicide Attempts.J Behav Health Serv Res. 2021; 48: 4-14
- Substance use and suicide.Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2011; 24: 197-202