Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Learning from developing countries in strengthening health systems: an evaluation of personal and professional impact among global health volunteers at Addis Ababa University’s Tikur Anbessa Specialized Hospital (Ethiopia).Global Health. 2014; 10: 64https://doi.org/10.1186/s12992-014-0064-x
- Let our fellows go: a plea for allowing global surgery electives during pediatric surgical training.J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 52: 2088-2090https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2017.08.070
- Academic global surgery: A moral imperative.JAMA Surg. 2015; 150: 605-606https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2015.0408
- Effectiveness of international surgical program model to build local sustainability.Plast Surg Int. 2012; 2012185725https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/185725
- The Medical Mission and Modern Core Competency Training: A 10-Year Follow-Up of Resident Experiences in Global Plastic Surgery.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016; 138 (8e): 531ehttps://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000002484
- Evaluating resident perspectives on international humanitarian missions.J Craniofac Surg. 2018; 29: 279-285https://doi.org/10.1097/SCS.0000000000004081
- The role of humanitarian missions in modern surgical training.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010; 126: 295-302https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0b013e3181dab618
- Volunteering in Nha Trang, Vietnam: senior medical students’ perspectives of a surgical mission trip.Yale J Biol Med. 2011; 84: 461-470
- Scaling up short-term humanitarian surgery: a global surgery elective for senior medical students.J Surg Educ. 2014; 71: 871-877https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2014.04.002
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qual Res Psychol. 2006; 3: 77-101https://doi.org/10.1191/1478088706qp063oa
- Educationaleffects of international health electives on U.S. and Canadian medical studentsand residents: a literature review.Acad Med. 2003; 78: 342-347
- The international orthopaedic health elective at the University of California at San Francisco: the eight-year experience.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009; 91: 2999-3004https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.I.00460
- Survey of residents who have participated in humanitarian medical missions.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012; 70: e147-e157https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2011.10.007
- Resident participation in international surgical missions is predictive of future volunteerism in practice.Arch Plast Surg. 2015; 42: 159-163https://doi.org/10.5999/aps.2015.42.2.159
- The medical mission and modern cultural competency training.J Am Coll Surg. 2011; 212: 124-129https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2010.08.019
- New From U.S. Census Bureau: Number of Americans With A Bachelor’s Degree Continues To Grow.Forbes. 2021;
Employed persons by detailed industry, sex, race, and Hispanic or Latino ethnicity n.d. https://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat18.htm (accessed September 12, 2022).
- Understanding the effects of short-term international service-learning trips on medical students.Acad Med. 2012; 87: 820-828https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0b013e31825396d8
- Student-reported value of a short-term service-learning trip to Nicaragua.Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2020; 12: 49-57https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cptl.2019.10.003
- Development and evaluation of an international service learning program for nursing students.Public Health Nurs. 2013; 30: 548-556https://doi.org/10.1111/phn.12040
- Sustained impact of short-term international medical mission trips: resident perspectives.Med Teach. 2014; 36: 1057-1063https://doi.org/10.3109/0142159X.2014.920491
- Medical student surgery elective in rural Haiti: a novel approach to satisfying clerkship requirements while providing surgical care to an underserved population.World J Surg. 2011; 35: 739-744https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-011-0966-1
- The effect of a global surgery resident rotation on physician practices following residency: the mount sinai experience.J Surg Educ. 2019; 76: 480-486https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2018.08.005
- Motivations, barriers and ethical understandings of healthcare student volunteers on a medical service trip: a mixed methods study.BMC Med Educ. 2016; 16: 94https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-016-0618-0
Collecting Change, Changing Lives. Operation Smile n.d. https://www.operationsmile.org/story/collecting-change-changing-lives (accessed December 10, 2021).
Our Vision. Operation Smile n.d. https://www.operationsmile.org/about-us/our-vision (accessed December 10, 2021).