- •Bilateral Wilms tumour (BWT) is rare, with reported worse outcomes than unilateral disease. Canadian outcome data has never been published.
- •This is the first epidemiologic study of outcomes for Canadian BWT patients. Overall survival improved when patients were treated using a specific therapeutic protocol (AREN0534), and late events were rare.
Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Overall Survival and Renal Function of Patients With Synchronous Bilateral Wilms Tumor Undergoing Surgery at a Single Institution.Ann Surg. 2015; 262: 570-576https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000001451
Statistics Canada. Childhood kidney and renal pelvis cancer statistics. Canadian Cancer Society, https://cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-types/wilms-tumour/statistics#:∼:text=Incidence%20is%20the%20total%20number,kidney%20and%20renal%20pelvis%20cancer; 2022 [accessed 21 July 2022].
- Wilms tumour.Nat Rev Dis Primer. 2021; 7: 75https://doi.org/10.1038/s41572-021-00308-8
- Results of the First Prospective Multi-institutional Treatment Study in Children With Bilateral Wilms Tumor (AREN0534) A Report From the Children’s Oncology Group.Ann Surg. 2018; 267: e64https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000002696
- The Management of Synchronous Bilateral Wilms Tumor: A Report from the National Wilms Tumor Study Group.Ann Surg. 2011; 253: 1004-1010https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e31821266a0
- Treatment of Anaplastic Histology Wilms’ Tumor: Results From the Fifth National Wilms’ Tumor Study.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 2352-2358https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.04.7852
- Relapse of Wilms’ tumour and detection methods: a retrospective analysis of the 2001 Renal Tumour Study Group–International Society of Paediatric Oncology Wilms’ tumour protocol database.Lancet Oncol. 2018; 19: 1072-1081https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(18)30293-6
- Bilateral Wilms tumour: a review of clinical and molecular features.Expert Rev Mol Med. 2017; 19: e8https://doi.org/10.1017/erm.2017.8
- Wilms Tumor.Adv Pediatr. 2012; 59: 247-267https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yapd.2012.04.001
- Clinical features, treatment, and outcomes of bilateral Wilms’ tumor: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pediatr Surg. 2018; 53: 2465-2469https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2018.08.022
- Wilms tumour event-free and overall survival in Southern and Eastern Europe: Pooled analyses of clinical data from four childhood cancer registries (1999–2017).Eur J Cancer. 2019; 115: 37-46https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2019.04.008
- Prospective analysis of long-term renal function in survivors of childhood Wilms tumor.Pediatr Nephrol. 2017; 32: 1915-1925https://doi.org/10.1007/s00467-017-3673-9
- Long-term outcome of bilateral Wilms tumors (BWT).Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2011; 56: 1110-1113https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.22881
Combination Chemotherapy and Surgery in Treating Young Patients With Wilms Tumor. Children’s Oncology Group, https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00945009; 2009 [accessed July 21, 2022].
- Patterns of enrollment of infants with central nervous system tumours on cooperative group studies: a report from the Canadian Pediatric Brain Tumour Consortium.J Neurooncol. 2010; 99: 243-249https://doi.org/10.1007/s11060-010-0123-y
- Comparison of outcomes in cancer patients treated within and outside clinical trials: conceptual framework and structured review.The Lancet. 2004; 363: 263-270https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)15383-4
- Release notice - Cancer in Young People in Canada: a report from the Enhanced Childhood Cancer Surveillance System.Health Promot Chronic Dis Prev Can. 2017; 37 (393): 393https://doi.org/10.24095/hpcdp.37.11.04
Publication stageIn Press Accepted Manuscript
☆This is an original article.
☆☆The authors have no competing interests to declare.
☆☆☆This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors