- •There is a need for better consent conversations in pediatric surgery informed by parents and healthcare providers.
- •Patients and families appreciate surgeon empathy, good surgeon communication, patient engagement, and adequate time for discussion and questions in a consent conversation.
Level of Evidence
Abbreviations:REB (Research Ethics Board), MCH (The Montreal Children’s Hospital), SDM (Shared Decision Making), NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Perils, pitfalls, and possibilities in talking about medical risk.JAMA. 1999; 281: 1037-1041
- Does written informed consent adequately inform surgical patients? A cross sectional study.BMC Med Ethics. 2019; 20: 1
Granger G. Communication in the Health Care Setting. Community Medicine, Public Health & Education 2019;2. https://doi.org/10.9016/CMPHE-10/100010.
- Measuring Patients’ Trust In Physicians When Assessing Quality Of Care.Health Aff. 2004; 23: 124-132
- Measuring patients’ trust in their primary care providers.Med Care Res Rev. 2002; 59: 293-318
- Consent for anaesthesia.J Med Ethics. 2004; 30: 286-290
- Interventions to improve patient comprehension in informed consent for medical and surgical procedures: a systematic review.Med Decis Making. 2011; 31: 151-173
- Interventions to Improve Patient Comprehension in Informed Consent for Medical and Surgical Procedures: An Updated Systematic Review.Med Decis Making. 2020; (272989X19896348)
- Decisional regret after distal hypospadias repair: single institution prospective analysis of factors associated with subsequent parental remorse or distress.J Urol. 2014; 191: 1558-1563
- Analysis of decisional conflict among parents who consent to hypospadias repair: single institution prospective study of 100 couples.J Urol. 2012; 188: 571-575
- Checklist to improve informed consent process in pediatric surgery: A pilot study.J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 52: 859-863
- A review of surgical informed consent: past, present, and future. A quest to help patients make better decisions.World J Surg. 2010; 34: 1406-1415
- A Physician-Directed Intervention: Teaching and Measuring Better Informed Consent.Acad Med. 2009; 84: 1036
- The development of COMRADE—a patient-based outcome measure to evaluate the effectiveness of risk communication and treatment decision making in consultations.Patient Education and Counseling. 2003; 50: 311-322https://doi.org/10.1016/s0738-3991(03)00055-7
- Jefferson Scale of Patient’s Perceptions of Physician Empathy: preliminary psychometric data.Croat Med J. 2007; 48: 81-86
- Informed Consent and Informed Decision-Making in High-Risk Surgery: A Quantitative Analysis.J Am Coll Surg. 2021; 233: 337-345
- Parents’ experience of giving consent for their child to undergo surgery.J Child Health Care. 2011; 15: 380-388
- Surgical Informed Consent Revisited: Time to Revise the Routine?.World J Surg. 2017; 41: 1-4
Delany C, Gillam L, Spriggs M. Law, Ethics and Communication: A guide for giving information and obtaining informed consent for central venous access devices. The Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne, Children's Bioethics Center. https://www.rch.org.au/uploadedFiles/Main/Content/bioethics/130276%20DELANEY%20A%20g uide%20informed%20consent_web(1).pdf. [Accessed July 2022].
- Access to an online video enhances the consent process, increases knowledge, and decreases anxiety of caregivers with children scheduled for inguinal hernia repair: A randomized controlled study.J Pediatr Surg. 2020; 55: 18-28
- Video versus traditional informed consent for neonatal circumcision.Acta Paediatr. 2010; 99: 1418-1424
- Decreased circumcision rate with videotaped counseling.South Med J. 1986; 79: 717-720
- A parental educational intervention to facilitate informed consent for emergency operations in children.J Surg Res. 2009; 152: 258-263
- Impact of a multimedia teaching tool on parental anxiety and knowledge during the informed consent process.Pediatr Surg Int. 2018; 34: 1345-1352
- Found in translation: navigating uncertainty to save a child’s heart. Paediatric cardiac surgery in Cape Town, South Africa.Med Humanit. 2021; 47: 112-1352
- Use of standardized visual aids improves informed consent for appendectomy in children: A randomized control trial.Am J Surg. 2018; 216: 730-735
- Informed proxy consent: communication between pediatric surgeons and surrogates about surgery.Pediatrics. 2000; 105: 591-597
- The application of computer-enhanced imaging to improve preoperative counselling and informed consent in children considering bone anchored auricular prosthesis surgery.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2000; 55: 181-186
- An assessment of provider satisfaction with the use of a standardized visual aid for informed consent for appendectomy in children.J Pediatr Surg. 2020; 55: 913-916
- Informed consent for emergency surgery in infants and children.J Pediatr Surg. 2005; 40: 1320-1325
- Determinants of Decision Making for Circumcision.Camb Q Healthc Ethics. 1996; 5: 228-236
- Surgical Consent of Children and Guardians for the Treatment of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis is Incompletely Informed.Spine. 2016; 41: 53-61
- A typology of shared decision making, informed consent, and simple consent.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 140: 54-59
- Shared decision making in surgery: A scoping review of the literature.Health Expectations. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1111/hex.13105
- Informed consent and hypoplastic left heart syndrome: Informed consent and HLHS.Acta Paediatr. 2007; 94: 1171-1175
- Informed Consent for Cochlear Implantation of Young Deaf Children: Social and Other Considerations in the Use of the “Bionic Ear”.Aust J Soc Issues. 2000; 35: 117-127
- Informed consent: it’s not just signing a form.Thorac Surg Clin. 2005; 15 (v): 451-460
- Elective paediatric surgery: what do parents really want to know?.Scott Med J. 2012; 57: 65-68
- Improving the Consent Process in Foot and Ankle Surgery With the Use of Personalized Patient Literature.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2018; 57: 81-85