- •Surgically correctable congenital anomalies represent significant morbidity and mortality in children from low-and lower-middle-income countries. Pre- and post-natal screening methods can help in decreasing this burden.
- •The most used methods include physician clinical examination, pulse oximetry and fetal ultrasound. The most feasible screening method was a birth defect picture toolkit.
PROSPERO registration number
Type of Study
Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global, regional, national, and selected subnational levels of stillbirths, neonatal, infant, and under-5 mortality, 1980–2015: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015.The Lancet. 2016 Oct 8; 388: 1725-1774
- Congenital anomalies in low- and middle-income countries: the unborn child of global surgery.World J Surg. 2015 Jan; 39: 36-40
- Integration of traditional birth attendants (TBAs) into the health sector for improving maternal health in Nigeria: a systematic review.Sub-Sahar Afr J Med. 2019 Jan 4; 6 (U SH, E AS): 55
World Health Organization, United Nations Population Fund, United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). Traditional birth attendants : a joint WHO/UNFPA/UNICEF statement [Internet]. World Health Organization; 1992. Available from: https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/38994
- Audit of Childbirth Emergency Referrals by Trained Traditional Birth Attendants in Enugu, Southeast, Nigeria.Ann Med Health Sci Res. 2015 Aug; 5: 305-310
PRISMA. PRISMA checklist [Internet]. [cited 2022 Nov 12]. Available from: https://prisma-statement.org/PRISMAStatement/Checklist.aspx.
Rayyan. Rayyan [Internet]. [Internet]. Available from: Available from: https://www.rayyan.ai/.
- Outcomes for implementation research: conceptual distinctions, measurement challenges, and research agenda.Adm Policy Ment Health. 2011 Mar; 38: 65-76
- Methodological index for non-randomized studies (minors): development and validation of a new instrument.ANZ J Surg. 2003 Sep; 73: 712-716
- Evaluation of Pulse Oximetry in the Early Diagnosis of Cardiac and NonCardiac Diseases in Healthy Newborns.Iran J Neonatol IJN. 2020 Jan 1; 11: 43-50
- Prenatal diagnosis and planned peri-partum care as a strategy to improve pre-operative status in neonates with critical CHDs in low-resource settings: a prospective study.Cardiol Young. 2019 Dec; 29: 1481-1488
- Role of pulse oximetry in detecting critical congenital heart disease among newborns delivered at a high altitude setting in Ethiopia.Pediatr Health Med Ther. 2019; 10: 83-88
- Sensitivity, specificity, and accuracy of fetal echocardiography for high-risk pregnancies in a tertiary center in Egypt.Arch Pediatr Organe Off Soc Francaise Pediatr. 2019 Sep; 26: 337-341
- A hospital-based birth defects surveillance system in Kampala, Uganda.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2019 Oct 22; 19: 372
- Clinical Screening for Congenital Heart Disease in Newborns at a Tertiary Care Hospital of a Developing Country.Cureus. 2019 Jun 3; (Internet) ([cited 2022 Nov 12];11(6). Available from)https://www.cureus.com/articles/18812-clinical-screening-for-congenital-heart-disease-in-newborns-at-a-tertiary-care-hospital-of-a-developing-country
- Role of MRI in the Diagnosis of Fetal Anomalies at 18–20 Weeks Gestational Age.J South Asian Fed Obstet Gynaecol. 2019; 11: 292-296
- Antenatal and postnatal diagnoses of visible congenital malformations in a sub-Saharan African setting: a prospective multicenter cohort study.BMC Pediatr. 2019 Nov 25; 19: 457
- Screening for congenital fetal anomalies in low risk pregnancy: the Kenyatta National Hospital experience.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2018 May 23; 18: 180
- Pattern of Congenital Anomalies in Newborn: A 4-Year Surveillance of Newborns Delivered in a Tertiary Healthcare Facility in the South-East Nigeria.J Trop Pediatr. 2018 Aug 1; 64: 304-311
- Pattern and outcome of prenatally diagnosed major congenital anomalies at a Nigerian Tertiary Hospital.Niger J Clin Pract. 2018 May; 21: 560-565
- Pulse oximetry as a screening tool for critical congenital heart defects in newborns.JPMA J Pak Med Assoc. 2017 Aug; 67: 1220-1223
- Role of Echocardiography in Prenatal Screening of Congenital Heart Diseases and its Correlation with Postnatal Outcome.J Clin Diagn Res JCDR. 2017 Apr; 11: TC12-T14
- Prenatal Diagnosis of Congenital Malformations in Douala General Hospital.Open J Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Dec 8; 5: 839-848
- Early detection of critical congenital heart disease in newborns using pulse oximetry screening.Int J Med Res Health Sci. 2015; 4: 78
- Utility and feasibility of integrating pulse oximetry into the routine assessment of young infants at primary care clinics in Karachi, Pakistan: a cross-sectional study.BMC Pediatr. 2015 Sep 30; 15: 141
- Pulse Oximetry Screening to Detect Cyanotic Congenital Heart Disease in Sick Neonates in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.Indian Pediatr. 2015 Sep; 52: 769-772
- External birth defects in southern Vietnam: a population-based study at the grassroots level of health care in Binh Thuan province.BMC Pediatr. 2013 Apr 30; 13: 67
- The role of routine post-natal abdominal ultrasound for newborns in a resource-poor setting: a longitudinal study.BMC Pediatr. 2011 Jul 12; 11: 64
- Clinical screening for Congenital heart disease at birth: a prospective study in a community hospital in Kerala.Indian Pediatr. 2011 Jan; 48: 25-30
- The incidence of cleft lip and palate in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.Ethiop Med J. 2011 Jan; 49: 1-5
- Antenatal detection of renal malformations.Indian Pediatr. 2009 Apr; 46: 346-348
- Epidemiology of external birth defects in neonates in Southwestern Nigeria.Afr J Paediatr Surg AJPS. 2009 Jun; 6: 28-30
- Birth defects surveillance study.Indian J Pediatr. 2005 Jun; 72: 489-491
- The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews.BMJ. 2021 Mar 29; 372: n71
- Evaluating technology-enhanced learning: A comprehensive framework.Med Teach. 2015; 37: 961-970